Salty Coriander Gose

Salt and Coriander Gose Recipe

Gose might be my preferred summer beer. I brewed this batch to give me a sour beer that would be perfect to start any fun sunny evening with friends. It’s not too sour, and the sea salt and coriander seeds give the beer that perfect balance. You could sip on this bad by all day long. And I love a sessional sour beer. Far too many of today’s sour beers take it a notch too far with the tart. This one is restrained.

Additional notes

If you are new to kettle souring, the process is pretty straightforward: you need to sour the beer with lactobacillus after the mash. Pitch the lactobacillus when the mashed wort cools to 90°F (32°C). Cover and let sour for 24-72 hours. The longer, the more tart the final beer. I personally love a 48-hour sour.

Once you are done souring the beer, you resume brew day as you would a normal brew day: bring your wort to the boil, which will kill off unwanted bacteria, and resume brew-day as you would any other.

Finally, this recipe uses a step mash infusion. This type of mash requires more care and attention than a single-infusion mash (which is what I use for most of my recipes).

Recipe Profile

  • Method: 1 gallon BIAB (Brew-in-a-bag), single stage
  • Target OG (Original Gravity): 1.051
  • Target FG (Final Gravity): 1.012
  • Bitterness (IBUs): 15
  • Estimated ABV: 5.1%
  • Boil: 90 minutes


  • 1.25 lbs Wheat Malt
  • 13 oz Pilsner Malt (2-row)
  • 0.10 oz Perle Hops at 45 minutes
  • 0.20 oz coriander seeds at 10 minutes
  • 0.10 oz sea salt at 10 minutes
  • Lactobacillus (Wyeast 5335) for souring
  • Weihenstephen Weizen Yeast (Wyeast 3068) for fermentation

The Mash

  1. Bring 10.5 litres of water to a temperature of 96°F. Add your grains and give everything a good stir until the whole thing looks a bit like oatmeal. Let rest for 5 minutes.
  2. Increase the temperature to 126°F over the course of 15 minutes.
  3. Increase the temperature to 145°F over the course of 11 minutes.
  4. Steep at 145°F for 35 minutes.
  5. Increase the temperature to 162°F over the course of 9 minutes
  6. Steep at 162°F for 20 minutes.
  7. Then you need to “mash out.” You put the heat back on, and raise the temperature to 168°F (75.6°C) and keep stirring for 7 minutes.
  8. Remove the grains and prepare for the boil. If you’re using a bag, just pull it out and let it drip near-dry above the pot. If you’re using a colander, strain to remove the grains, preserving the wort, which you’ll add back to the pot.
  9.  When the wort cools to 90°F (32°C), add the lactobacillus, cover, and let it sour to your liking (24-72 hours)

The Boil

  1. Check that your gravity is on track and correct it if needed. You need 66 gravity points for this recipe, as our target post-boil volume is 1.3 gallons.
  2. Start the boil by bringing your wort up to a boil. Once boiling, start your timer. Add your bittering hops, as prescribed above.
  3. Meanwhile, prepare your sanitizer solution.
  4. Just before the boil is complete, make an ice bath in your kitchen sink. Load it up with as much ice and cold water as you can. Once the boil is over, transfer your pot to the sink to cool your wort to pitching temperature, as prescribed on the yeast pack. Remember to sanitize your thermometer every time you check the temperature.
  5. Meanwhile, thoroughly clean and sanitize your carboy, screw cap, airlock, funnel, and strainer/colander. You want everything to be ready to go once the wort is at the right temperature.
  6. Once the wort is at pitching temperature, transfer it to the carboy by passing it through a strainer overtop the funnel.
  7. Aerate the wort.  Cover the fermenter with a screw cap and gently rock the carboy back and forth for a few minutes to mix in some air.
  8. Pitch the yeast! Use sanitized scissors to cut open the package and pour in the yeast.
  9. Seal the carboy by filling the airlock with sanitizer. Fit it in the screw cap. Move the carboy to a dark spot, free of the home’s daily commotion for at least 14 days (but ideally not more than 21).

Bottling Day

  1. Move the carboy to the countertop, if it wasn’t already there. If the wort got lots of movement during transfer, let it sit so that any stirred-up yeast has a chance to re-settle.
  2. Sanitize everything that will come in contact with the beer: bottling bucket, auto-siphon, tubing, filler, bottles, and bottle caps.
  3. Dissolve 0.59 oz (17g) corn sugar in enough boiling water to dissolve it. Add the dissolved sugar solution to your sanitized bottling bucket.
  4. Fill your auto-siphon and hose with sanitizer before submerging in the carboy. Transfer the solution to a spare container until the beer has completely replaced all the sanitizer in the tubes. Now you can place the end with the bottle filler in the bottling bucket, which should also be on the floor and gently transfer the beer from the carboy to the bucket.
  5. Transfer all the liquid up and the point where it reaches the sediment. Leave the sediment in the carboy.
  6. Now, move the bottling bucket to the counter and siphon the beer quietly into each bottle. When the liquid gets to the very top of the bottle, remove the bottle filler, which will leave the perfect amount of headspace at the top of the bottle.
  7. Cover each bottle with the sanitized caps and cap them into place, or secure your sanitized swing-top caps if using those.
  8. Store the bottles upright in a quiet, dark corner at 65F (18.5C) or so.
  9. Wait 30 days, if you can. If you’re way too curious (I can’t blame you!) try and hold out for 14 days. If you absolutely can’t wait, you can try after 7 days, but the beer really needs at least 14 days to condition.


6 responses to “Salty Coriander Gose”

  1. Ben Manoach

    Hi Joseph,
    I would like to thank you for this RECIPE, i think it is one of the best
    the Gose is so refreshing! after 30 days it is at it’s best.
    used the white Labs 677 instead of Wyeast 5335 as it was not AVAILABLE but was able to CONTROL the souring very well, 48 hours were just enough for a delicate TASTE.
    Thank you so much!

    1. Thanks so much for the note Ben, I appreciate the feedback so much.

  2. Euan

    Hey Jospeh!

    Thanks for recipe! I’ve got two questions if thats okay?

    How come there’s the gradual rise in temp for the mashing stage? I’ve read some other recipes that ignore this, what your reasoning behind this?

    Also, you mention Lactobacillus (Wyeast 5335) which I’ve got but its a smack pack for 5 gallons. Should i ammend how much I pitch or should I still fire in the entire contents of the pack?

    Thanks for you help!

  3. Kristi

    I’ve read elsewhere that you need to use separate equipment when brewing sour beers to avoid potential bacterial contamination. Do you just use your normal brew materials or do you have a separate sour set-up?

    1. Matthew Heffelfinger

      Clean it all out well and you should be fine. Sanitizer used properly should do the job in all cases. If you wanna make sure it’s all dead, do a second sanitizer run in the carboy for good measure. (Not sure why this is DISPLAYING in all caps….sorry)

    2. Brian

      This is a kettle sour, The boil stage after souring kills the lactobacillus. You only need SEPARATE equipment when you are souring during primary or SECONDARY FERMENTATION

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.